Hello, I am Alexander, a postdoctoral researcher in Natural Language Processing at TU Darmstadt working with Prof. Chris Biemann. My main research interest is computational lexical semantics, including semantic similarity, word sense induction and disambiguation. In the past I worked also on other NLP-related topics including short text classification for social media analysis (sentiment analysis, topic categorization, gender categorization, age detection) and skill extraction from text. More generally, I am interested in statistical natural language processing, information retrieval, semantic web, machine learning and interections of any interactions of these fields.
To get a better idea about my research please try two following demos: Serelex, a lexico-semantic search engine, Elisit, a skill extraction system. You can also may find something intersting in my PhD dissertation “Similarity Measures for Semantic Relation Extraction” or in one of the papers listed below. Let me know if you have any questions related to these papers.
I participate in program commitees of conferences dedicated to natural language processing, computational linguistics, data analysis and related fields. If you are looking for a reviewer do not hesistate to contact me.
In the past, I have served as an associated researcher at Université catholique de Louvain and a researcher at Digital Society Laboratory LLC startup working on targeted advertisement based on social network data. I have completed a PhD program in Natural Language Processing at Center for Natural Language Processing of Université catholique de Louvain under supervision of Prof. Cédrick Fairon and Prof. Andrey Philippovich in co-tutelle with Moscow State Technical University. During my studies I was involved in the European research project iCOP and the Belgian research project ELIS-IT. My research was supported by Wallonie-Bruxelles International.
If you want to know more about my background please read my CV. You can follow me on LinkedIn, ResearchGate, Facebook or Google+.
- Panchenko A., Babaev D., and Objedkov S. Large-Scale Parallel Matching of Social Network Profiles. To appear in proceedings of 4th Conference on Analysis of Images, Social Networks and Texts. Communications in Computer and Information Science. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2015
- Panchenko A., Loukachevitch N. V., Ustalov D., Paperno D., Meyer C. M., Konstantinova N. RUSSE: The First International Workshop on Russian Semantic Similarity. In Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Linguistics Dialogue 2015, 2015
- Arefyev N., Panchenko A., Lukanin A., Lesota O., Romanov P. Evaluating Three Corpus-Based Semantic Similarity Systems for Russian. In Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Linguistics Dialogue 2015, 2015
- Panchenko A. Sentiment Index of the Russian Speaking Facebook In Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Linguistics. Dialogue 2014, 2014
- Панченко А., Муравьев Н., Объедков С. Неологизмы и заимствования в социальной сети Фейсбук. Труды международной конференции Диалог 2014, 2014
- Panchenko A., Teterin A. Gender Detection by Full Name: Experiments with the Russian Language. In Proceedings of 3rd Conference on Analysis of Images, Social Networks and Texts. Communications in Computer and Information Science Volume 436, pp.169-182, 2014
Kivimaki I., Panchenko A., Dessy A. Verdegem D., Francq P., Fairon C., Bersini H., Saerens M. A Graph-Based Approach to Skill Extraction from Text. In Proceedings of TextGraphs-8 Workshop. In
Empirical Methods for Natural Language Processing (EMNLP 2013). Seattle, USA. 2013
Panchenko A., Naets H., Brouwers L., Romanov P., Fairon C., Recherche et visualisation de mots
sémantiquement liés. Actes de la 20e conférence sur le Traitement Automatique des Langues Naturelles (TALN'2013). Les Sables d'Olonne, France. pp.747--754, 2013.
- Panchenko A., Naets H., Beaufort R., Fairon C. "Towards Detection of Child Sexual Abuse Media: Classification of the Associated Filenames". In Proceedings of the 35th European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR 2013). LNCS 7814, pp. 776-779. Springler-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013.
Panchenko A., Romanov P., Morozova O., Naets H., Romanov A., Philippovich A., Fairon C."Serelex: Search and Visualization of Semantically Similar Words" . In Proceedings of the 35th European Conference on Information Retrieva (ECIR 2013). LNCS 7814, pp. 837-840. Springler-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013.
- Panchenko A., Morozova O., Naets H. “A Semantic Similarity Measure Based on Lexico-Syntactic Patterns.” // In Conference on Natural Language Processing (KONVENS 2012), — Vienna (Austria), pp.174--178, 2012
- Panchenko A, Beaufort R., Fairon C. Detection of Child Sexual Abuse Media on P2P Networks: Normalization and Classification of Associated Filenames". In Proceedings of Workshop on Language Resources for Public Security Applications of the 8th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), 2012
- Panchenko A., Adeykin S., Romanov P., Romanov A., “Extraction of Semantic Relations between Concepts with KNN Algorithms on Wikipedia”. In Proceedings of Concept Discovery in Unstructured Data Workshop (CDUD) of International Conference On Formal Concept Analysis, pp.78-88, Belgium, 2012
- Panchenko A. Morozova O. “A Study of Hybrid Similarity Measures for Semantic Relation Extraction”. In
Proceedings of Workshop of Innovative Hybrid Approaches to the Processing of Textual Data Workshop
of European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL), pp.10-18, France, 2012
- Panchenko A. “A Study of Heterogeneous Similarity Measures for Semantic Relation Extraction”. In
Proceedings of 14e Rencontres des Étudiants Chercheurs en Informatique pour le Traitement
Automatique des Langue (JEP-TALN-RECITAL), 2012
- Panchenko A., Adeykin S., Romanov P., Romanov A., “Extraction of Semantic Relations from Wikipedia
Articles with KNN Algorithms”. In AIST Conference (In Russian), 2012
- Panchenko A. “Towards an Efficient Combination of Similarity Measures for Semantic Relation
Extraction”. Abstract in Proceedings of The 22nd Meeting of Computational Linguistics in the
Netherlands (CLIN 22), 2012
- Panchenko A. “Comparison of the Knowledge-, Corpus-, and Web-based Similarity Measures for
Semantic Relations Extraction”. In Proceedings of the Workshop GEometrical Models of Natural
Language Semantics (GEMS) of EMNLP,pp.10-18, 2011
- Panchenko A. “Can We Automatically Reproduce Semantic Relations of an Information Retrieval
Thesaurus?”, In Proceedings of the 4th Russian Summer School in Information Retrieval YSC RuSSIR,
Professional Affilations and Services
- Program Comittee member, 20th International Conference on Applications of Natural Language to Information Systems, NLDB 2015
- Program Comittee member,The 2014 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence
- Program Comittee member, Young Scientists Conference, Russian Summer School in Information Retrieval, RUSSIR 2014
- Co-Chair, AIST 2014 and AIST 2015, Conference on Analysis of Images, Social networks and Texts.
- Reviewer, RANLP 2013, Conference on Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing.
- Reviewer, CAN, Elsevier Journal.
- Reviewer for LTC 2011, 2013, The Language and Technology Conference: Human Language Technologies as a Challenge for Computer Science and Linguistics.
- Member of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL, Stroudsburg, PA, USA).
- Member of the Association pour le Traitement Automatique du Langage (ATALA, Paris, France).